Texas issues three levels of inspector licenses: Apprentice Inspector, Real Estate Inspector, and Professional Real Estate Inspector. AHIT provides approved training for those seeking to become Real Estate Inspectors and Professional Real Estate Inspectors.
- Texas Real Estate Inspector Education Requirements: 154 hours (includes 40 hours of practicum; exams must be proctored)
- Texas Professional Real Estate Inspector Education Requirements: 194 hours (includes 40 hours of practicum; exams must be proctored)
- Inspections: 40 hours of Texas practicum (field training)
- Exam Required: Both NHIE plus Texas specific exam
- Application Fee: $100 (Real Estate Inspector) or $120 (Professional Real Estate Inspector) plus $10 after passing the exam (other fees may apply)
- Minimum Age Requirement: 18
- Proof of Financial Responsibility: Provide proof of Liability Insurance with a minimum of $100,000 per occurrence and an aggregate annual total of a minimum of $100,000 using the TREC Certificate of Insurance form or provide proof of a Surety Bond using the TREC Proof of
Financial Responsibility Form.
- Must meet TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity (consider requesting a Fitness Determination before
applying for a license)
- Fingerprinting is required
- Citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien
Home Inspection License Expiration: Every two years from date of issuance