Massachusetts’s home inspector registration is two-tiered: Associate Home Inspector and Home Inspector. Inspectors must first apply as an Associate Home Inspector prior to completing the requirements to become a Home Inspector.
- Massachusetts home inspection education hours: 75 hours (associate inspector)
- Inspections: 25 home inspections in the presence of a licensed home inspector (associate inspector)/100 direct or indirect inspections (inspector)
- Exam Required: NHIE (associate inspector)
- Application Fee: $225 (associate inspector)/$338 (inspector)
- Insurance Requirements: E&O for a minimum of $250,000
- Passport sized photo taken within one year is required
- Engaged as an Associate Home Inspector for not less than one year (inspector)
- Completion of 12 CE hours (inspector)
- Notarized application and a background check is required. Fingerprints are not required. No minimum age requirement.
- High School Diploma or GED is required
Home Inspection License Expiration: Every two years